Friday, August 13

Discharge & My First Week as an Outpatient

I was discharged on Monday, August 9th after two weeks in the hospital. It was probably the most exciting day for me since our wedding. There was similar anticipation and significance. I hardly slept the previous two nights because I was so excited. Every time my night nurse would look into my room, I was wide awake. She said I was like a little kid at Christmas. A little kid with the best present ever!

Discharge Day is always a crazy busy day and I spent most of the day on my feet. It was my busiest day yet! It felt glorious to walk out of the hospital to our new digs. We took lots of pictures because I want to remember this milestone. Or maybe I needed proof!

My new outpatient routine is:
Mondays & Thursdays: Bloodwork, PFTs, Physio & OT
Tuesdays & Fridays: Lung Tx Clinic, Physio & OT
Wednesday: Physio & OT

This week everything went fairly smoothly. I spent a lot of time worrying about it though. I am totally obsessed with the time now, which is pretty much a 180. I am paranoid about missing my immuno-suppressants. I was overwhelmed with everything new, and it made for a hard day on Tuesday. I'm going to call it performance anxiety. I was so good at my old routine, with my old body, and now we've changed it all up. I want to be good at this too.

My blood sugar has a huge spike in the late afternoon when the long-acting insulin wears off and the prednisone effect hasn't. I had an appointment with the Diabetes Clinic and they adjusted my sliding scale once again. This time, we are going to increase the short-acting insulin scale at lunch to combat that prednisone high.

Highlights this week:

- My best friend drove up to have lunch with me. It was the first time we saw each other since my transplant. It was also the first time she's been away from her baby for the whole day. Best lunch ever! There were lots of happy tears and great talk about this whole journey. Her support means so much to me.

- Going for a long walk with my husband. We walked about 10 blocks tube-free. I could walk and talk at the same time!!! And I could keep up! And no rests or breaks!

- Alone time, just my husband and I. All of my other fantastic support have gone home for now, so it's just the two of us. It feels great to talk about everything that's happened and start our new life together.

-I got a blackberry and all of my meds and appointments are already programmed in. I was considering the iPhone, but I already have an iTouch and I really like that instant messenger feature on the blackberry. Now my husband and I can connect anytime for free!

No comments:

Post a Comment