On Monday I began the pre-transplant six-week physical therapy program. Day one was the orientation. We met one of the physiotherapists, did a six-minute walk test and filled out a few questionnaires. The questionnaires were about my quality of life, mental state, and one for the occupational therapist. Next my husband and I headed to the transplant clinic where we touched base with one of the doctors that we hadn't met yet. As my support person, my husband is expected to be there and attend the lectures with me.
There are six of us in the program, but only five have been there so far. There weren't any introductions on the first day, but I am starting to get to know the others. I think there's one other CFer. I am the youngest in the group by quite a few years.
I will be in the gym every morning from 8:30-10am, which is really early for me! I usually don't get up until 10am. I will be assigned to a physiotherapist, who will design a cardio and strength training program for me. There are three physios with two patients each. Once a week we will go to transplant clinic. A couple of times a week there will be mandatory lectures on various topics related to transplant.
After another walk test on Tuesday, I began using the equipment. I have been walking on the treadmill and doing strength training on several machines. We have also started meeting the recovering transplant patients in the gym. Today we met an older man who is two months out and doing really well. We also heard that someone was transplanted yesterday so we can anticipate meeting them in the next couple of weeks. We saw STARS come in yesterday, and we also saw a Medi-vac team yesterday at a restaurant. Perhaps they were bringing in the new patient/organs.
Today was our first education session titled 'Wellness through Relaxation.' It was taught by one of the Occupational Therapists who referred to us as 'dudes' and 'old farts.' Needless to say, we didn't get a lot of quality information from the session. I spent the entire 20 minutes of the relaxation exercise trying not cough and disturb the entire group. Not my idea of a relaxing time!
Only five and a half weeks left!
No comments:
Post a Comment