I am making a commitment to get back to my strength training routine. In terms of exercise, I always do two 20-minute walks with my dog each day. However, I haven't been doing my weights for a few months now... because I was working and didn't have the time/energy or I didn't feel well enough or various other excuses. I am officially getting back into it!
I believe that physical activity is a HUGE factor in keeping me well. I have played sports all of my life and I have been 'healthy' for the majority. Really, it's only been the past year where things got tough. I kept playing sports right until last Christmas. After that, it was too hard. I couldn't catch my breath after running, and I was so tired after that I immediately crashed once I got home. I even went as far as trying to umpire with an oxygen tank strapped to my back, but that led to other difficulties!
I have really noticed how weak my legs get when I'm sick, particularly in hospital. If I squat, my legs shake when I try to stand back up. I don't like that feeling. I know after transplant I'll be even less active for the first couple of months. I want to get my strength back now.
The RT from my oxygen company is coming over today to exchange my concentrator. The one I have now only goes up to 5 LPM. After my last hospital stay, I'm already sitting at 4. I will need more O2 if I'm going to get through my routine. Plus, I will also start using our treadmill again when the snow sticks around and I can't do a good 20-minute walk outside. If I am going to walk on the treadmill, I might as well try running. It'll take me a while to get there, but I am going to do it. It's funny- lately I don't even use expressions like 'running errands' or 'run over to the store' because it's obviously not true. I better do something about that!
Hey Sandy,
ReplyDeleteOkay, how is it that I *just* now found your blog? Better late than never, I guess, but I'm so happy I finally came across it! And thanks for the "blogger challenge" answers too!
I agree that strength training is key. I do a lot of walking like you, but I only recently added gyrotonics (a type of core strength building exercise that uses weights and pilates-like movements). I honestly think it's making a difference -- I feel just, well, STRONGER.
Hope your journey through the transplant process is a smooth one (that's not an oxymoron, right?). I'll be excited to read more updates!
Piper