It's been a very busy week. I had an sort-of unexpected bronch on Tuesday. It wasn't decided if I'd have a three-month bronch, but I started experiencing a couple of changes and we decided to go ahead with it. I'm glad that we had a little look. As it turns out, one of the anastomoses (sites where the new lungs are sewn onto the old airway) was growing some extra tissue. Since it was useless tissue, a balloon was used to stretch it out and break it up. Otherwise, everything else looked great. Yay! I got a couple of pretty cool pictures of my insides as a souvenir.
Of course, my two best friends had just arrived to visit with me, so we had to cut it short. It was too bad, but priorities I guess!
Although all of the cultures aren't back yet, I'm on oral Cipro and some IV Meropenem. It's made for some long days sitting in the IV Room, but it's worth it. I have also stopped some of the precautionary meds like the anti-fungal and the anti-viral. As a result, some of my immuno-suppressants needed to be adjusted as well.
It's my last week of physio starting tomorrow. I can't believe it's almost been three months already. I will be writing my donor letter this week. I have felt so much pressure to write the perfect letter. It always sounds good in my head, but it's another thing to put it on paper!
I know we shouldn't compare ourselves to others in recovery, but it's always so interesting! There were four others who had their lung transplants the same week as me (it comes in waves!) Of the five of us, I am by far the youngest. I wonder who else will be allowed to go home on schedule, after the three months of recovery. All of them are basically still using a wheelchair to get around the hospital. I know we all have our own paths to walk, but I wonder how much is effort and how much is luck. I have been fortunate for sure, but I have pushed myself. My husband has pushed me. My family and friends have expressed their support and it motivates me. I feel bad though, especially for those who have had complications. I hope they will be able to go home soon.
Another CFer got lungs last weekend! That's now three of the seven that are waiting. Good news!
No comments:
Post a Comment